Are People Who Comment on the Internet Crazy?

More and more these days, I find myself intrigued by the reader comments posted on blogs instead of the blog post itself.

Take, for example, this piece: Female Orgasm Can Reveal Partner’s Attractiveness, Wealth, And Confidence Levels that I read over on Medical Daily. It’s all about some research that seems to indicate that good looking rich guys are out there having a lot of sex with women who have very intense orgasms. As if the lives of good looking rich guys needed to be any better, we now have scientific proof that their lives are even way more awesome than we could ever imagine.

Now scroll down, way down, keep scrolling. Ah! There it is! The single comment (at least, at the time of this writing there was only one comment) attached to that article was posted by Javed Rahpoto, lately of Shah Abdul Latif University, from his Facebook. Here’s what Javed had to say about good looking rich guys and female orgasms.

Javed Comment

Here it is days later, and I’m not thinking about those good looking rich guys and their horny women. I’m thinking about Javed and his comment.  Javed Post ItIs it directed at the author of the story, admonishing her for failing to fully illuminate the mystery that is the female orgasm? Or is it a reminder to himself, staring at him from out of his Facebook News Feed, sort of like how I stick Post Its all over the place so that I don’t forget to thaw out the chicken or vaccinate the cat?

I’d like to think that most commenters are people like Javed: someone who’s out there, reading stuff on the internet, and thinking about how he can use the information to give his lady earth shattering climaxes make the world a better place, but some days I’m worried that commenters are more like these folks who responded to the recent announcement of the new Archbishop of Chicago.Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 5.35.17 PM

By the way, I intentionally steered clear of any article mentioning President Obama, Honey Boo-Boo, or the Keystone Pipeline in my search for comments just now. Yet I still managed to find the crazy on this inoffensive (at least to normal people) news release from the Archdiocese of Chicago.

So are people who comment on the internet crazy? Imagine what you would think if you had these sorts of interactions in real life.

Me: Nice weather we’re having.

Crazy Commenter: The gays hate nice weather, and so does President Obama. If it were up to him, we wouldn’t have any weather at all, just socialism! And let me add something here about my penis, and all women are bitches, also.

I try not to comment on the internet, other than to support other bloggers here on WordPress, but I have to admit the urge is sometimes there to argue with the crazies. So far I’ve been able to control those urges, but they do make me wonder about myself. Maybe I should stop reading comments altogether, so that you don’t find me, someday, muttering behind my keyboard and furiously typing a comment underneath the review of the local high school’s production of You’re  A Good Man, Charlie Brown.

Advertisements

32 thoughts on “Are People Who Comment on the Internet Crazy?

1. Karen says:

I tagged this post NaNoWriMo because I intended to bring it back (somehow) to discuss that topic. Who knows what I was thinking?

Anyway, I’m 32k words in, so there’s that.

2. lusciouswords says:

It’s not just you. Many of the commenters on the interwebz seem to have no filters, nor do their comments relate to the story, only to the vast array of conspiracies that seem to abound around us. There are days when I wonder if the conspiracy theorists are correct, but then I fail to see the lizard people coming up out of the ground and I think maybe they’re lost in their own little world.

• Karen says:

I think a lot about how we behave differently on the Internet than we do in real life. For instance, I don’t (usually) go around talking about orgasms in real life. And I think the same is probably true about commenters–they don’t really talk like this in real life.

Maybe it works like that movie The Purge, you know? In that movie (in case you don’t know), people have one day every year to go out and murder and rape and pillage and that exorcises all their violent impulses so they’re peaceful the rest of the year (Yeah, it was a dumb movie). Anyway, maybe people act out their craziness in the comments section so they don’t have to run around all crazy in real life.

• lusciouswords says:

I have to hope that some of these people behave differently in real life than they do in real life. Otherwise, someone is going to go ballistic on them and do them bodily harm. (Not saying they deserve it; not saying they don’t.) But I’m certain there are some who don’t hold anything back in real life any more than they do on the interwebz. Those are the ones I hope I never meet…because my vow of peace and serenity might go flying out the door when I punch them. 😉

3. Michelle at The Green Study says:

I inevitably scroll through comment sections and end up feeling enraged/depressed. I try not to use the word crazy in this context, because I know there’s some issue conflating mentally disordered with irrational, hate-filled thinking fed by relative internet anonymity. But your response comment pretty much hit the high points of what gets posted on any subject – even, as you point out, on relatively benign articles.
    I thought “yes!” when I read your post headline. But here I am, commenting away.

4. Allie P. says:

I will admit that while I read blogs for the articles, there are certain news stories that I just gloss over before jumping to the comment section for a good laugh and/or some eyebrow raising. Never, never, argue with crazy though. They aren’t able to hear you through the noise in their heads no matter how elegantly you argue.

5. jacki214 says:

If you ever develop a strong desire to actually interact face-to-face with a commenter-like individual, I can recommend a visit to your local library. Working in one 40+ hours per week for many, many years, I can visualize these commenters quite clearly.

• Karen says:

Wait–at the library? I’ve spent a good deal of my life in libraries (some of it making out in the Reference Section) but I don’t think I ever ran into these types there. Just a lot of nerdy-types in glasses (like myself).

• jacki214 says:

Of course, the neighborhood makes a difference, but public libraries attract the fringes of society as they cater to the needs of any who would benefit from partially tax-supported advantages. It is our great mission to bridge the digital divide and make information available to the masses. And that is a happy state of affairs, however, some of the disadvantaged are thus because of their inability to interact in socially successful ways.

At the branch where I work (not too far removed from Ferguson,) we experience many surprising behaviors weekly.

6. balletandboxing says:

I didn’t know reading comments was a thing people do for entertainment – I find it way too depressing. Apart from some nice wordpress communities, there are ALWAYS ignorant, misspelt horrors that sap my joy from the reading experience.

I stopped reading comments on regular sites years ago. Apparently I’ve been missing out.

I’ll let you know how I hold up this time round the comment sections.

7. moi says:

Judging by Javed’s pigeon English I’d wager that he had trouble knowing what an orgasm is in English, but it sounded like great fun and he wanted to find out more, either that or a troll.

• Karen says:

Don’t think that’s “pigeon English”–just think he forgot to hit the space bar there. Regardless, his English is as good as most commenters.

And if he’s confused about what a female orgasm is, that puts him in the company of most men in the world 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Karen says:

What’s even funnier is that if he applies for a job or goes on a blind date or whenever someone searches his name on the Internet, this blog post will come up. 😉

Comments are closed.